Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Divide & Conquer


Dividing Space  

  Dividing shelf space into smaller, more manageable sections works well for storage. A system for doing this involves using acrylic shelf dividers. There are styles, shapes, and sizes of shelf dividers on the market to suit anyone's taste and budget. Some are inexpensive plastic stackable shelves; some are laminated modular shelf units.

  I have found that what works for me is to divide my closet shelves into smaller sections using shelf dividers. Shelf dividers come in acrylic, wire, grid wall in all sorts of shapes and sizes. You can also use a laminated modular shelf unit or create your own by using a step stool.





Sweaters

  All sweaters should be folded, not on a hanger. If I was given a dollar every time my Mother or Grandmother told me this I would be rich by now. Folding your sweaters will keep the shape of your sweater and hanging them stretches the fabric.
 
Belts and Scarves
  Belts should be stored in such a way that they are neat and accessible. You can keep your belts in your dresser using drawer dividers or shallow boxes to compartmentalize the space. Then you can loosely coil your belts and put them into individual compartments. I have this one below and it works great for me. I also use it in a drawer to keep my socks organized.

 

Drawer Organizer

32-compartment customizable honeycomb-shaped organizer―just snip off the ends with scissors to fit a small drawer. bedbathandbeyond.com.
 
  The other alternative is to hang the belts from hooks -- the back of the closet door or a closet wall is the perfect place for this. If a garment comes with its own belt, it is best to remove it before you hang up the garment, otherwise the belt could pull the fabric out of shape. I love this DYI belt hanger; I am going to have to make some of these.

  As far as scarves go, I like to keep mine hanging so they do not show fold lines and get wrinkled. There are endless ways to do this, here are a few suggestions.
 
Scarf/Belt Hanger
There are endless ways to store your scarves. I like this scarf hanger from Bed Bath and Beyond. I can view my scarfves easily and it also has four small hooks you can put your belts on. The large holes have a non slip surface.
$10 for two,bedbathandbeyond.com.
Handbags and Purses
  Women love their handbags and sometimes face the problem of how to store them. Here are a few suggestions to get you started. I place all of my handbags on shelves at the top of my closet using shelf dividers to keep them in place. I would love to use the handbag cubby below so I am putting that on my wish list. This is a great idea if you have enough space in your closet.
 
Handbag Cubby
  Preserve the shape of your handbags by securing them underneath. Crisscrossing elastic bands hold them in place. The bag sits on sturdy wide shelves and fold flat when they are not in use. You can store two small purses under the bands. $20, bedbathandbeyond.com
 
 



 
Shelves and Dividers
  Handbags can be stores on shelves and you can use shelf dividers to support them. There are several samples of dividers in the above photos.


 



 

Hooks
  You can hang your handbags on hooks in your room or wardrobe. The picture below is using shower curtain hooks, what a great idea!
 
   Once you have you clothes and accessories organized; you will be amazed how easy it will be to get dressed, coordinate your fashions and look fabulous! Next we will finish up with Jewelry Storage. After spending my life in the jewelry business; you will be surprised how I organize and store my jewelry. Until next time...
 



 

0 comments: